Hot Honey Pepperoni Pizza Oven Recipe
- Outdoor Pizza Oven (preferred) or standard oven
- Pizza peel
- 3-4 oz pizza sauce A homemade sauce from a can of high-quality whole tomatoes is really simple, but if you want a typical store-bought sauce, we prefer Rao's Homemade.
- 1/2 tsp oregano You can likely skip the added oregano if using store-bought sauce.
- 7 oz whole fat mozzarella If using pre-shredded cheese, RINSE the cornstarch off and dry before using. This will create a much better cheese melt.
- 330 g NY style pizza dough
- Pepperoni to taste
- Hot Honey drizzle
- Flatten and stretch dough into 14" pies.
- Prepare your pizza by ladling sauce onto stretched dough and then sprinkling oregano. Starting from the outside and moving inward, spread a light even layer of cheese. Evenly top with a layer of pepperoni.
- Preheat to 550F for at least 30 minutes with pizza steel or stone on top rack. Turn on broiler, and let preheat another 10 minutes.
- Using a pizza peel, carefully move pizza to oven and cook for about 6 minutes, watching closely for crust color and cheese burn. Avoid rotating when baking in home ovens as temperature loss from opening the door often does more harm.
Outdoor pizza oven
- Preheat your Ooni (or other portable outdoor pizza oven) for 25 minutes. The oven should reach near 800F in this time. Place pizza in oven and cook for 2 minutes (+/- 30 seconds depending on color) rotating as needed. TIP: if using an Ooni Koda or another gas model oven, reduce the heat to low just as you place the pizza in; this creates really great crust color without burning the cheese too early. This may increase cook time slightly.
- Let pizza cool for one minute on a wire rack/
- Drizzle with Hot Honey; slice and serve.