New York Style Pizza Dough
Our go-to dough recipe for NY-style pizzas can be tailored for same-day or next-day bakes. This 65% hydration recipe creates four 330g dough balls.
- 735 g Bread flour
- 480 g water (75 degrees F) if you want a shorter proof time, use warmer water. However, the longer proof time results in better crust flavor.
- 44 g sugar
- 12 g salt
- 5 g yeast I highly recommend SAF Instant
- 30 g olive oil
- Using a stand mixer, mix together flour, sugar, yeast, salt, and oil. Slowly pour water into dry ingredients and continue mixing until incorporated. If dough is too dry, add more water 1 tbsp at a time. If it's too wet, add more flour 1 tbsp at a time. The dough should be slightly sticky, yet stretchy.
Option 1: Short ferment
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Hand knead briefly and form into a balls. Place in oiled bowl or baking pan, cover with plastic wrap, and set it on counter to proof for 10 hours (for same-day bake).
Option 2: Overnight cold ferment
- Cover with plastic wrap and bulk ferment at room temperature for 4 hours.
- Divide dough and shape into 4 balls. Re-cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and re-shape into balls 2 hours before baking.
The cold ferment method results in significantly better flavor; however, we’ve all been there when a craving hits that day and you really want to make a pizza. In this case, the short ferment will definitely do the job!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!