Gooey cheese, San Marzano tomato sauce, and spicy sweetness tops NY-style dough in this Stracciatella & Hot Honey Pizza, made in your home oven for a rainy day!
Stracciatella & Hot Honey Pizza
- Outdoor pizza oven (optional). This recipe works great with pizza ovens, but the dough works perfectly with kitchen ovens as well.
- 1 batch NY-style pizza dough, prepared
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-oz. can of Bianco DiNapoli crushed tomatoes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. Stracciatella cheese
- 3 tbsp Mike's Hot Honey
- Freshly torn basil, for topping
- Prepare your NY-style pizza dough a day in advance.
- To a saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute, then add the crushed tomatoes and salt. Bring to a simmer and remove from the heat.
- Preheat your outdoor pizza oven for 20 minutes on medium heat (NY doughs cook better at temps around 700F). Alternatively, preheat your home oven to 550 degrees F with a pizza stone or steel.
- Stretch the dough out thin, about 16". Place onto a pizza peel. Top with some sauce and a thin layer of mozzarella.
- Launch into oven and onto the stone/steel. Bake for ~6 minutes until the pizza begins to brown. If using a home oven, after the 6 minute bake, set the broiler to its hottest setting. Watch closely and remove the pizza when the crust and cheese obtains a good color, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the pizza to a wire rack. Top with dollops of Stracciatella, a drizzle of hot honey, and freshly torn basil (and extra sauce, if desired).