The BEST New York Style Pizza Recipe
An easy NY style pizza recipe perfect for cooking at home. This dough uses higher hydration to get that thin, foldable NY crust.
- Outdoor Pizza Oven (preferred) or standard oven
- Pizza peel
- 6 1/2 cups Bread flour
- 2 1/2 cups water (75 degrees F) if you want a shorter proof time, use warmer water. However, the longer proof time results in better crust flavor.
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Yeast I highly recommend SAF Instant
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Using a stand mixer with flat paddle, mix together flour, sugar, yeast, salt, and oil.
- Slowly pour water into dry ingredients and continue mixing until incorporated. If dough is too dry, add more water 1 tbsp at a time. If it's too wet, add more flour 1 tbsp at a time. The dough should be slightly sticky, yet stretchy.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Hand knead briefly and form into a balls. Place in oiled bowl or baking pan, cover with plastic wrap, and sit on counter to proof for 12 hours. NOTE: This makes 4 pizzas. If you only want to make two, freeze the other half.
- INDOOR OVEN: Preheat to 550F for at least 30 minutes with pizza steel or stone on top rack. Turn on broiler, and let preheat another 10 minutes.
- OUTDOOR PIZZA OVEN: Preheat to oven's max temperature (time varies depending on model)
- Flatten and stretch dough into 12" – 14" circles; prepare pizzas.
- Cook until crust is lightly brown, cheese bubbles, and pizza lightly chars.
If using an outdoor pizza oven, such as Ooni Koda, the baking process will only take a couple minutes max. If using an indoor oven at 550F, it will take closer to 5-7 minutes.