The BEST New York Style Pizza Recipe
An easy NY style pizza recipe perfect for cooking at home. This dough uses higher hydration to get that thin, foldable NY crust.
- Outdoor Pizza Oven (preferred) or standard oven
- Pizza peel
- 3-4 oz pizza sauce A homemade sauce from a can of high-quality whole tomatoes is really simple, but if you want a typical store-bought sauce, we prefer Rao's Homemade.
- 1/2 tsp oregano You can likely skip the added oregano if using store-bought sauce.
- 7 oz whole fat mozzarella If using pre-shredded cheese, RINSE the cornstarch off and dry before using. This will create a much better cheese melt.
- 330 g NY style pizza dough
- Flatten and stretch dough into 14" pies.
- Prepare your pizza by ladling sauce onto stretched dough and then sprinkling oregano. Starting from the outside and moving inward, spread a light even layer of cheese.
- Preheat to 550F for at least 30 minutes with pizza steel or stone on top rack. Turn on broiler, and let preheat another 10 minutes.
- Using a pizza peel, carefully move pizza to oven and cook for about 6 minutes, watching closely for crust color and cheese burn. Avoid rotating when baking in home ovens as temperature loss from opening the door often does more harm.
Outdoor pizza oven
- Preheat your Ooni (or other portable outdoor pizza oven) for 25 minutes. The oven should reach near 800F in this time. Place pizza in oven and cook for 2 minutes (+/- 30 seconds depending on color) rotating as needed. TIP: if using an Ooni Koda or another gas model oven, reduce the heat to low just as you place the pizza in; this creates really great crust color without burning the cheese too early. This may increase cook time slightly.
If using an outdoor pizza oven, such as Ooni Koda, the baking process will only take a couple minutes max. If using an indoor oven at 550F, it will take closer to 5-7 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!