Calabrian Salami Neapolitan Pizza
While I love a classic pepperoni pizza, imported Calabrese Salami takes it to a whole new level. Sliced thin enough, the salami even "cups" like pepperoni when baked in an outdoor 900F oven.
- Outdoor pizza oven
- Pizza peel
- 330 g Neapolitan pizza dough
- 3-4 oz basic pizza sauce A homemade sauce from a can of high-quality San Marzano whole tomatoes is really simple; just puree and add salt!
- 6 oz shredded whole milk mozzarella If using pre-shredded cheese, RINSE the cornstarch off and dry before using. This will create a much better cheese melt.
- 1 pinch Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Spicy calabrese salami sliced really thin
- Flatten and stretch dough into 14" pies.
- Prepare your pizza by ladling sauce onto stretched dough and then sprinkling Parmigiano-Reggiano. Starting from the outside and moving inward, spread a light even layer of mozzarella. Top with calabrian salami.
- Preheat your Ooni (or other outdoor pizza oven) for 30 minutes. The oven should reach over 900F in this time. Using a pizza peel, place pizza in oven and cook for 2 minutes (+/- 30 seconds depending on color) rotating as needed.
- Remove pizza from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 2 minutes before slicing.
This is a Neapolitan recipe that uses 00 flour, so high heat is a must; home ovens are insufficient. Be sure to preheat an outdoor pizza oven to 900F before cooking. If you only have a home oven and pizza steel/stone, check out our NY Style recipe which works great with this.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!